Sis. Gifford decorating the edible Periodic Table of Elements.
Steven's project: He wanted to learn how dish soap works. He learned that the soap molecules have a grease/fat loving end and a water loving end. The grease/fat loving end will attach to the fats and grease from the leftover food. The water loving end allows the food particles to rinse off easily. All you need to try this yourself is some milk, preferrably whole milk, some food coloring, and a drop of dish soap. The reaction can last for around 41 minutes....that's when we gave up watching anyway!
Meilia's project was called "Plant's Suck! Observing Capillary Action." She learned about how water gets up a flower's stem and to their petals. She learned that stem's have little capillarys (which are small narrow tubes) that suck the water up and to the leaves etc. We bought 3 white carnations and placed them in water with food coloring added and the watched as they magically turned red, blue, and green. It was fun! She mod podged lots of cute flowers to her board and put question/answer flowers on her display.
Wyatt presenting his project with a little help from Mom.
Steven was thrilled beyond belief to receive the 2nd place ribbon!!! See Pal...a little hard work pays off in the end!




2 comments:
That looks like so much fun. I've always loved a good science fair. I've judged a lot and I think you're kids projects were stellar!
Holy moley your kids have grown a lot since I've seen them last! Very cool science projects too - that milk one is neat, I'll have to try it. Maybe Steven should present it to the Coast Guard and Pres. Obama as a way to skim oil down here :)
Post a Comment